Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Saturday, May 09, 2009

There is a...

...university here in Okoahoma that is named after one of my favorite poets, Langston Hughes.


I, Too, Sing America
a poem by by Langston Hughes


I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.


Hughes doe not say "African American". We are all American, not Hyphenated American. We have equal opportunity under the law. We are not guaranteed "equal outcome" under the law.

Think about it. Langston Hughes thought about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Free Web Counter